Wednesday, September 3, 2008

A few words on the Merit Badge

Those of us who make a week at summer camp part of our activities for the year know that a large part of the experience is about earning a lot of merit badges. It has for some, become the way to acquire merit badges. I guess that's okay, but I have had personal reservations about that approach all along. I guess it would be more accurate to say I have mixed feelings.

I should preface my comments with a mention that it was much harder to get a merit badge when I was in Boy Scouts. First, we had to wait until we were First Class and second, we were subject to a standard Board of Review before the badge was considered earned. I am not about to suggest that this is how a merit badge should be earned, but it is hard for me to see them given out so easily at summer camp.

My comments are only relevant to what I have seen at Camp Yawgoog, where my Troop goes every summer. The counselors there are sometimes as young as 15 years old. Hardly what I consider mature enough or learned enough to be qualified for the job, but Yawgoog does have a very comprehensive training program, so I'm sure these boys have been tested. By week 7, they seem a little tired and worn down, so I fear they skim over things a bit from time to time.

Another merit badge issue I have is with counselors who sigh up only for the Troop they have a son in. Why do I have a problem with this? On one hand, it is a good way to have parents share their skills with their home Troop and get involved in the mentoring aspect of Scouting. If not for their own son, they probably would not consider signing up at all. But one very important aspect of earning a merit badge can be potentially lost on this approach. When a boy has to seek out and contact a total stranger, then make an appointment to see them, dressed in full uniform, prepared to discuss the merit badge, something very important is learned. It has to do with learning how to present yourself to a new person, an adult. It is about doing a little research and making a series of phone calls to sort out who might be the best choice of counselor. All that reinforces what Scouting is essentially about, building self-reliance, character and confidence.

Earning a merit badge is really about exploring a new skill. maybe one that a boy is already interested in or something he thinks he might want to know more about. When he does it with a friend from the Troop and with a person not previously known to him, the benefits are many.

No comments: